Monday, June 15, 2009

First Swim Lessons

Evan and I are signed up for Guppie/Turtle a.k.a. Parent/Tot Swim Lessons this summer at Oakmont High School, starting today, with good friends Natalie and Tyler. The class is for 6 to 36 month olds. We have two teachers, including the manager of the operation, Candace and another young gal named Sydney. So for the first day, Evan, was a real trooper considering lessons are falling pretty much during morning nap time, 11:15 a.m and it wasn't the hottest of days making the water a little chilly. To get them used to the water we sat at the side of the pool and sang the "This is the way we wash our legs, etc." song to get them used to the wetness. However, when I got in to the pool, I accidentally splashed Evan which had him crying his super sad cry (with the scrunched up face). When he actually got in the pool the cry continued for awhile, since it was cold. We traveled across the swimming pool with the class, which included about 15 other parents and babes, acting like ducks and then doggies. Then we proceeded to try to teach the kids how to blow bubbles, by having them pretend to blow out a candle. Evan wasn't really into this at all. So we watched Natalie and Tyler. At this point, Evan was cuddling and holding on to my shoulder. Natalie was saying his eyes were looking pretty heavy and before we knew it he feel asleep. This was a first - sleeping during swim lessons! Gotta love it! The best is that they started to talk about water safety and I thought, hmm, how does this apply. Having your child go to sleep while in a pool. :) Good times! Natalie got a picture of Evan sleeping while we proceeded to exit the big pool.

At the end of the lesson, we got out of the big pool as mentioned above, and then transitioned to a really shallow pool where the kids were able to play with toys at this point, Evan was still resting and I watched Natalie and Tyler play. Once the lesson was over he perked up, of course, and posed for this picture. I am looking forward to seeing what happens during these next two weeks! I love my little guppie - Evan, he is full of surprises! :)

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

Aw, how cute! Lauren has her first swim lesson next week with Daddy--although I doubt she'll sleep through hers! :)

Carly said...

lol - i love the swim picture. its okay evan, you have plenty of time to learn how to swim and it won't normally be this cold!